Monday, April 21, 2008

APPLIANCES, FLOORS, CABINETS...OH MY!


WELL, THE SHOPPING HAS BEGUN...OR SHOULD I SAY, THE FUN PART OF THE SHOPPING ANYWAY. MARK HAS BEEN "SHOPPING" FOR PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL, LUMBER FOR SOME TIME NOW. I AM JUST NOW JUMPING IN THE GAME. WE HAVE DECIDED ON THE APPLIANCES. THIS GE SERIES IS THE WINNER.

THE CABINETS...STILL NOT SO SURE. MARK HAS SAID FOR SOME TIME THAT HE WANTS TO BUILD THEM HIMSELF. I KNOW THEY WOULD LOOK FABULOUS, BUT HE IS ALREADY SO BUSY WITH EVERYTHING ELSE I THOUGHT I WOULD LOOK AT OTHER OPTIONS. THE PROBLEM IS, THE PRE-BUILT CABINETS HAVE A HARD TIME ACHIEVING THE OLDER CRAFTSMAN LOOK THAT I WOULD LIKE. CUSTOM MADE CRAFTSMAN CABINETS ARE INSANELY EXPENSIVE. WHAT TO DO? THE PROBLEM WITH A HUSBAND THAT IS A RENAISSANCE MAN... YOU JUST KNOW HOW NICE THINGS REALLY CAN BE BUT ARE NOT GOING TO FEEL COMFORTABLE PAYING THAT PRICE. TO PUT IT ANOTHER WAY, CHAMPAGNE TASTE - BEER BUDGET.

THIS PAST WEEKEND WE WENT TO THE BIG CITY TO SHOP FOR MANY OTHER THINGS WE NEED TO MAKE A DECISION ON SOON. I WAS SO EXCITED TO FIND SOME WOOD FLOOR THAT WILL MATCH THE OLD FLOORS VERY CLOSELY, AND AT A GREAT PRICE. THE STAIN COLOR IS CALLED MOLASSES... SOUNDS YUMMY HUH! THE OLD OAK FLOORS HAVE AGED TO THIS COLOR SO I AM EXCITED TO FIND FLOORING THAT IS VERY CLOSE TO PUT THROUGHOUT THE EDITION, EVEN IN THE KITCHEN. FOR ME, THIS WAS THE FIND OF THE WEEKEND, BUT NOT FOR MARK. HE HAD ANOTHER COMPANY QUOTE THE WINDOWS AND MAY HAVE FOUND A WAY TO SAVE A FORTUNE AND STILL GET EXACTLY WHAT WE WANT. HE WAS SO EXCITED IT WAS FUNNY. MARK DOES NOT GET OVERLY EMOTIONAL ABOUT THINGS SO WHEN HE IS A LITTLE ANIMATED WITH HIS REACTION IT IS SO CUTE TO ME. I WAS GLAD TO SEE HIM JOYFUL IN THIS PROCESS. DON'T GET ME WRONG, HE LOVES WHAT WE ARE DOING BUT I KNOW IT IS VERY STRESSFUL FOR HIM. HE IS BASICALLY DOING THE REMODEL WORK ON THE EXISTING STRUCTURE, CONTRACTING THE NEW STRUCTURE, AND WORKING A STRESSFUL JOB. WHEN I STOP TO THINK ABOUT IT ALL, HE IS PRETTY AMAZING! I AM TRULY BLESSED. SO THE CARTOON ABOVE IS JUST FOR GIGGLES. WE ARE NOT NEEDING MARITAL COUNSELING OVER THIS PROJECT...NOT YET ANYWAY :-)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Amy. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I stalked Kim's blog for a long time because I was infatuated with her Max and his homecoming...I finally got up the nerve to tell her I was a lurker and she wasn't too upset with me - thank goodness! :)

I quickly went through some of your posts. But, I did notice your oldest son wears glasses and that he has goggles for playing basketball. I would love to know how he's handled that - are the goggles comfortable, was he embarrassed to wear them at first, can he see well with them? Sorry for so many questions, but this is something we've really been thinking about lately.

Have a great day!

Amy said...

So glad that you had a successful weekend! We added on to our house after we found out we would be having Shane. I absolutely hated it - the making decisions, trying to cut corners and save money, etc. It was all so stressful to me, but I love the end product and we have really enjoyed it. I am so glad that I found your blog and look forward to hearing about your construction progress.

sitemeter