Friday, October 31, 2008
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Thursday, October 23, 2008
He said, "It's underwear, Mom!"
Once again, what was I thinking?
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
In the town where I office primarily, part of the post office building houses a congressional office that is sometimes occupied by the local congressman's staff. This building has limited parking and is quite busy during several times each day.
Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind parking in Timbuktu to go into the post office. What bothers me is when I see an elderly man have to park way in the back and walk with his packages to the front door while this parking place sits empty or is used by "congressional staff" occasionally. UGH! Where is the servant leadership mentality here? In any business I have ever worked the employees always park in the far reaches of the parking lot and leave the convenient parking for the customer. I think this concept is lost in this case? Am I just a grumpy complainer or am I on a subject that gets you a little irritated too? On that note...Early voting is open so do your part to keep America what our forefathers sacrificed, faught, and died to leave to us!
Sunday, October 12, 2008
- WHEN YOU DO BEND THE RULES AND ALLOW CHILDREN TO EAT IN THE DEN IN FRONT OF THE TV FOR MOVIE NIGHT, SOMETHING WILL INDEED BE SPILLED ON THE CARPET.
- THE ONE TIME YOU ALLOW YOUR 4 YEAR OLD TO RIDE HIS BIKE WITHOUT A HELMET HE WILL LOOSE HIS BALANCE , FALL AND SPLIT HIS EYE BROW REQUIRING AN EMERGENCY ROOM VISIT. IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT YOU WERE ONLY LETTING HIM TRY OUT HIS NEW BIKE BY RIDING TO THE END OF THE STREET WITH HIS DAD RIDING RIGHT BESIDE HIM ON HIS BIKE. WE LEARNED THIS LAW WITH THE FIRST CHILD. POOR THING, HE HAD TO BE OUR TEST CHILD FOR EVERYTHING!
- IF YOU TELL YOUR 4 YEAR OLD TO GET DRESSED BEFORE HIS DOCTOR'S APPOINTMENT BUT DO NOT SPECIFICALLY SAY, "PUT ON UNDERWEAR", DON'T BE SURPRISED WHEN THE NURSE PULLS DOWN HIS SHORTS TO GIVE HIM A VACCINATION AND DISCOVERS THAT HE LIKES TO GO COMMANDO!
- IF YOU FINALLY TAKE YOUR BEAUTIFUL WHITE DOWN COMFORTER OFF OF YOUR BED, TAKE IT TO THE LAUNDRY MAT TO USE THE BIG COMMERCIAL FRONT LOAD WASHER AND LARGE DRYER TO CARE FOR IT PROPERLY, THEN PLACE IT BACK ON YOUR BED AND ENJOY THAT CLEAN FRESH SMELL, A CHILD WILL COME IN YOUR ROOM TO TELL YOU THAT THEY WANT TO LAY WITH YOU BECAUSE THEIR TUMMY HURTS. THEN A FEW HOURS LATER THEY WILL WAKE YOU AND TELL YOU, "MOM, I HAD A LITTLE POO POO ACCIDENT BUT I CHANGED MY UNDERWEAR MYSELF". NEEDLESS TO SAY, YOUR COMFORTER IS NOT SO FRESH ANYMORE!
- NOW ONE FOR THE DAD'S. IF YOU ARE INDEED THE PARENT THAT HAS TO TAKE A SICK 2 YEAR OLD TO THE DOCTOR, DO NOT WEAR ELASTIC WASTE SWEAT PANTS WITHOUT SECURING THE DRAW STRING. WHILE YOU ARE STANDING AT THE OFFICE WINDOW GIVING INSURANCE INFORMATION, YOUR SICK AND CRANKY CHILD WILL WANT TO BE HELD AND WILL PULL AT YOUR PANTS. YOU WILL MOON ALL THE MOTHERS SITTING IN THE WAITING AREA. IF THIS DOES HAPPEN TO YOU, DON'T TELL YOUR WIFE. SHE WILL LAUGH ABOUT IT FOREVER AND POST IT ON THE FAMILY BLOG. WE ALL KNOW IF THIS HAD HAPPENED TO HER, THE SICK CHILD WOULD NEVER HAVE SEEN THE DOCTOR THAT DAY AND WE WOULD HAVE CHANGED PEDIATRICIANS IMMEDIATELY!
BUT NOW WE MOVE ON TO THE LAWS OF MOTHERHOOD THAT WE THANK GOD FOR EVERYDAY...
- WHEN YOU HAVE A LONG, HARD DAY AND FEEL UNAPPRECIATED FOR ALL YOU DO, YOUR LITTLE BOY WILL HUG YOU SO TIGHT WHEN YOU PICK HIM UP FROM PRE-SCHOOL AND GIVE YOU A HANDFUL OF ROCKS HE PICKED OUT FOR YOU ON THE PLAYGROUND BECAUSE HE THOUGHT YOU WOULD THINK THEY WERE PRETTY.
- WHEN YOU WATCH YOUR CHILD IN A SCHOOL PERFORMANCE THAT YOU WERE SURPRISED HE TRIED OUT FOR BECAUSE HE CAN TEND TO BE SHY SOMETIMES, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO STOP SMILING EVEN IF YOU TRIED. YOU'LL LOOK OVER AT DAD HOLDING THE VIDEO CAMERA AND SEE THAT SAME SMILE ON HIS FACE.
- IF YOU HAVE A HEADACHE AND ARE TRYING TO LAY DOWN FOR A BIT TO SEE IF A LITTLE NAP WILL CLEAR IT UP, YOUR CHILDREN WILL BRING YOU THINGS TO HELP YOU FEEL BETTER. THINGS LIKE A GLASS OF WATER, A PIECE OF HARD CANDY THAT IS GREEN AND "TASTE LIKE A LEAF SO IT MUST BE MEDICINE", THEIR FAVORITE BLANKET OR STUFFED ANIMAL. THESE THINGS DO MORE TO HELP YOUR HEADACHE THAN THE IBUPROFEN DID!
- THOSE HOMEMADE CARDS YOU GET FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY ARE YOUR FAVORITES AND YOU WILL SAVE THEM FOREVER.
- AT THE END OF THE DAY WHEN YOU ARE SPENT AND ARE TUCKING YOUR BABIES IN BED JUST WAITING FOR A MINUTE TO SIT DOWN AND RELAX, YOUR CHILD WILL ASK FOR ONE MORE STORY. YOU REALLY WANT SOME DOWN TIME BUT YOU DECIDE TO BEND THE RULES AND READ ONE MORE WHEN THE BOOK HE ASKS FOR IS RUNAWAY BUNNY. WHAT MOM DOES NOT LOVE TO READ THAT ONE WITH HER BABY OVER AND OVER!
Thursday, October 2, 2008
DON'T GET ME WRONG, I WILL BE THE VERY FIRST WIMP TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE WEATHER GETTING COLD. I LIKE THE CRISP AIR IN THE FALL, NOT COLD WEATHER. MY HUSBAND TRIED TO MAKE ME A TOUGH MIDWESTERNER YEARS AGO. WE SPENT ONE WINTER IN KANSAS AND IT SNOWED, AND SNOWED, AND SNOWED. I THOUGHT IT WAS BEAUTIFUL THE FIRST TIME OR TWO. AFTER THAT, IT LOST IT'S MAGIC FOR ME. I DID NOT ENJOY THANKSGIVING WHEN IT WAS EIGHT DEGREES BELOW ZERO. WHO CAN PLAY A GAME OF TOUCH FOOTBALL IN THAT WEATHER? NO, I'M A SOUTHERN GIRL THROUGH AND THROUGH. BUT THIS SOUTHERN GIRL IS READY FOR FALL WEATHER TO STAY. AS LONG AS IT STAYS ABOVE 45-50 DEGREES, I WILL BE A HAPPY GIRL.
NOW I MUST BE THINKING OF A GREAT FALL DISPLAY FOR OUR YARD. I LOVE TO DO A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE SCARECROWS, BALES OF HAY, PUMPKINS AND MUMS...YOU KNOW THE USUAL.
SO WHAT DO YOU THINK? CLASSY, HUH! I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE STUFF TOGETHER AND PUT THIS IN THE YARD OF THE HOUSE WE ARE REMODELING...RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO MY DEAR FRIEND KIMMI! SHE WILL LOVE IT AND ALL THE ATTENTION IT WILL BRING TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD! MAYBE I SHOULD JUST PUT IT IN HER YARD INSTEAD...WHAT DO YOU THINK?