Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A movie, really?

OK...we went to the movies to see How to Eat Fried Worms. It was cute but now my son doesn't even remember the book (he was only 6 when we read it) he just remembers the movie. Mark took Mason to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Mason loved the book and says the movie changed the tone of the book all together by making it a "save the world" adventure. It is no longer the fun little fantasy it once was in his little mind. Now here comes Where the Wild Things Are. I don't think I want this favorite from my childhood and of my boys to be transformed into another big adventure. I want to leave it just as it is in our minds, a simple child's dream. I'm starting to understand why Dr. Seuss did not sell the movie rights to his books. His family did a few after he passed away and I wonder if he really would have approved. So please, Hollywood. Find some good original screenplays and make for fun movies for us to enjoy as a family. We love going to the big movies but leave these adventures in the pages we turn at bedtime just as they are.

No comments:

sitemeter