Saturday, July 2, 2011

A little scare

I had trouble sleeping Thursday night...no surprise, I am nearly 8 months into this pregnancy!  This was a little different.  My back hurt and I could feel mild contractions.  They went on throughout the night but were in no way consistent.  I woke up the next morning still feeling them so I sent a text to the girls at the office that I would be in later.  As I slowly got around and dressed for work, I realized I had not felt the baby move all morning, which is UNUSUAL for baby Melanie, she is a mover and a shaker!  I was just overwhelmed with a really uneasy feeling. I called my OB and they wanted me to come in for tests.  I called Mark to see if he could come also.  He asked if I should stay home and rest until the appointment but I told him I wanted to go on to the office to get my mind off of it and I didn't want to upset the kids since I was a bit emotional about it all.  I did not want them to be worrying.

I headed to the office, still no movement in the car.  I prayed for God's strength and protection.  I tried to keep busy but my mind would wander.  Then, about an hour before the appointment, I felt a little movement.  PRAISE GOD!  My heart leaped out of my chest.  I kept waiting for her regular somersaults but nothing more came.  Finally the time came for the appointment.  Mark and I went back and waited for our doctor.  He came in with his usual calming manner made us feel comforted without saying much at all.  He felt around on my stomach to find out how little Melanie was positioned and then placed the Doppler machine on my stomach.  We immediately heard the sound of her strong fast heartbeat.  Mark smiled at me and I couldn't stop smiling at him.  It was such a relief to hear that sweet sound.  After some fetal monitoring and a sonogram, our doctor felt sure all was OK.  Melanie had just found a new position with her head pressing on by back.  His orders were to take it really easy this weekend, stay out of the heat.  I am terrible about wanting to push myself to the limit.  Mark was glad to hear the doctor say to take it easy since I don't always listen to Mark when he tells me I am doing too much.

Later that evening we took the kids and granny to eat Chinese food and pick up what we needed for the July 4th weekend at the store.  I picked up a few more things for the baby, pacifiers, hair bows, and a couple of winter outfits on clearance.  Mark walked over and showed me a "pregnancy listening device".  He said, "this way we can let the kids listen to the baby's heartbeat"  I smiled and told him I thought that was a great idea.  That evening we let the boys and Maddie, our neice, hear that wonderful sound.  I wish we would have had the video camera recording their reactions.  The wonder in their eyes was amazing.  It brought tears to my eyes.  God has richly blessed us with this surprise.  His plans and purposes are always better than anything we could dream up on our own.  The joy He gives us in His will is indescribable.

3 comments:

Grannalisa said...

Oh wow!! That is scary - those little boogers can give us the scare even before they get here!! Hope things go smoothly from here on!! So her name is Melanie?? I like it!!

Jodee said...

Oh my word! How flippin' scary! I can't even imagine! If this happens again, drink a big glass of OJ! Apparently, the sugar gets them moving again!

I can't believe you are wrapping up this pregnancy. How exciting! I hadn't heard her name yet either. How cute! You are going to have soooo much fun adding the color pink to your family!

Nonnas News said...

Glad everything is ok with you and baby Melanie!! I cant beleive you have only a month to go!

sitemeter